Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Photographing the Commonplace





Female House Sparrow


I remember a photograph that I saw in an exhibition some years ago that made a great impression on me.  It was a close-up image of a male blackbird.  Blackbirds are so commonplace that usually no one will take the trouble to point a camera in their direction.  The photographer had chosen an angle that shed new light on a familiar subject and produced a memorable image.


Male House Sparrow



I cannot pretend that I have the imagination and creativity to emulate the photographer whose image I recall, but I was moved to grab a few images of the familiar house sparrow last week on a visit to Orana Park, our local wildlife park.  While we ate our lunch, watching the giraffes in the background, these little sparrows hovered expectantly awaiting the inevitable dropped crumbs.  We are careful eaters, so they soon moved off to another table occupied by several young children, but not before I had their likeness in my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment